Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Sadness and anger.

Recently, my friend George W. Quinn suffered a tremendous loss in his family. His mother, Janet, had been diagnosed not all that long ago with stage IV lung cancer. After hearing about the condition from my friend Dan, I had figured that George might want to start thinking about saying his goodbyes. Its not that I was trying to be a dick or anything, its just when that sort of cancer has hit that particular stage, it would take a medical miracle for her to pull through. Janet Quinn died this past Saturday. There was a blog that covered her treatment and eventual death located at this address: http://janetquinn.blogspot.com. Its sad what happened and her funeral (actually it more of a mass gathering because she was cremated) is supposed to be today. But that's not what pisses me off.

I would like to give a big fuck you to Howard University. Apparently, during rotations, a student has to show up for their thing no matter where their site is. I had recently contacted them about going to the funeral, and someone there basically said that I had to show up to my rotation site because the death was not in my immediate family. I would like to consider my friend's parents sort of like family, at least because I had worked for Safeway as a cashier and I would occasionally see them come through my line. But Howard policy states it has to be immediate family. I think I'm going to try to skip the rest of the day and show up anyway.

More later.

No comments: